• Question: If I vote for you would you give me £10?

Asked by osamabinladen to Meeks, Pete, Stephen, Steve, Tom on 14 Jun 2010 in Categories: .
    • Photo: Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry answered on 13 Jun 2010:

No chance!

Instead I would be prepared to give you 10 pounds… 😉

Unfortunately however, I believe corporal punishment has been outlawed…

• Photo: Tom Hartley

Tom Hartley answered on 13 Jun 2010:

No. But see my earlier answer.

• Photo: Steve Roser

Steve Roser answered on 14 Jun 2010:

Nope. And this is the reason. Scientists quite often do ‘back of the envelope’ that is very quick, not very careful calculations to get any idea whether something is worth doing well. So if I do a quick calculation…..I guess there are about 500 pupils who will vote, and lets say I need half of them. Thats 250 x £10 = £2500 to win £500. Doh! If I reckon on making a little money, I can afford to spend about half my ‘winnings’ say £250 on bribes. That’s about £1 each. Can I be bothered to spend the time and stamps sending out lots of £1s?…….. nah. Plus £1 is probably not a big enough bribe. So that’s the back of the envelope calculation. You can do this for all sorts of sciency questions, like, is there life out thre (guess the nuber of stars, guess the number of planets around an average star, guess the chance of life starting there…etc etc)
      So this is actually a VERY SENSIBLE SCIENTIFIC QUESTION!

• Photo: Marieke Navin

Marieke Navin answered on 14 Jun 2010:

ha ha ha very funny! erm….no! I will use all of the money for science! and hopefully make a brilliant and fun experiment that you can try out. I’d be happy to bring it to your school so you can have a go.